Wednesday, May 02, 2007

General Ramblings - Touches

How to become a great thrower. Well, I don't know that I am exactly the best person to answer that question. That being said, I have had the opportunity to play with a number of (whom I would consider) great throwers in my short career.

I have had numerous conversations with these throwers always trying to improve my throws and add additional throws. As an example, Idris' post regarding hammers led me to improve my blades and hammers, which has definitely paid dividends.

The first point of becoming a good thrower is your grip. This is definitely something I have struggled with.

The second point is repetition, repetition, repetition.

However, the problem any number of throwers have is that their form is not good (not that mine is). So they end up practicing bad form, over and over. Some people are able to break it easily, others are not so. I am fortunate to have used an idea from Idris to improve my throws. But I had to go and throw at least a hundred backhands and forehands each day using the right form in order for it to take and to become natural.

Where I am going with this though is how to become a good thrower in game situations. Here again, I have to go with repetition.

One of the biggest issues I have with practice is the actual lack of repetition a player receives while playing a game to 5 or whatever during practice. Generally speaking, the handlers touch the disc most, which will naturally lend to those individuals becoming better faster.

Secondly, playing games where the stall count is still at 10 doesn't force a person to develop field sense and use their throws efficiently.

I have found that games such as 3 on 3 (or 4) causes a player to get a number of touches during the game that they would not otherwise receive. This is why I highly recommend cross training games such as Goaltimate, Dischoops, or other innovative games that give everyone ample touches during practice. An added benefit is that you get to know your teammates throwing tendencies.

Secondly, field sense is improved. By having a shorter stall count, you force everyone to make decisions faster and develop a better field sense.

To put it all together (somewhat) IMO, the best players are usually those who can survey the field and then make the right decision. And finally, execute on that decision by making a perfect throw.

To be expanded upon at a later date...time to watch NBA :)

$

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home